The aim of the Substance Misuse Screening Tool is simply to help you to decide what to do next if you have concerns about a young person’s substance use.
There are three age-specific versions. Download the version relevant to the young person’s age by right-clicking over the link below and selecting ‘save target as’ / ‘save link as’. Complete the tool and follow the instructions written on it. Then undertake the intervention that the tool indicates.
If you are unsure how to proceed, or you need any assistance in using the tool, please contact ru-ok YPSMS on 01273 293966.
Unfortunately, ru-ok YPSMS can no longer work with young people after their 18th birthday. Young people aged 18+ should be referred to Pavilions.
- The tool can be used by individual practitioners, or teams of practitioners
- The tool can be used with or without the young person being present
- Start with where the young person is at – you don’t need to ‘tick-off’ all of the substances like a checklist!
- The tool may indicate that the current level of use is low but risk factors for use/or other difficulties arising in the future are high. A multi agency care plan around other presenting issues may then need to be drawn up.
- In multi agency working it needs to be clearly agreed who will take the lead on the assessment